How Legal Assistance Can Help Pedestrian Accident Victims Get Back On Their Feet
Over the years, I have had the opportunity to help a number of pedestrians who have been injured by motor vehicles recover money for their injuries. Here are a few memorable cases:
- The pedestrian, a decorated Korean War veteran, had almost crossed the entire street when he was hit, shattering his right leg – yet the driver claimed he stepped off the curb immediately in front of her. A witness agreed with her version. I knew my client was telling the truth – I could tell he was an honest person. Despite conflicting testimony, we were able to resolve his case for a considerable amount of money and prove without any doubt that he was telling the truth.
- A man pulled over to help a another driver who had broke down. A third driver came along and hit his truck which, in turn, ran him over. He was pinned under the front tire of his own truck and suffered life altering injuries.
- Speaking of drivers hitting things which, in turn, hit pedestrians, I have represented other clients where that has happened. In one case, the driver hit a tree which fell and struck my pedestrian client – breaking her nose. In another case, a vehicle hit a pothole and swerved, hit a trailer, which spun and trapped my pedestrian client between the trailer and the vehicle towing that trailer – again, leaving life changing injuries.
Every year pedestrians suffer from auto accidents that cause substantial injuries. A pedestrian accident can be and usually is devastating, physically, emotionally and financially. In some cases, the victims never recover.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians:
- Where light colored, reflective clothes
- Assume vehicles do not see you
- When possible, cross streets at controlled intersections
- Avoid J-Walking
Try to avoid walking at dimly lit times, on days and during times when drunk drivers are on the road and during poor weather conditions.
Even with these precautions, many pedestrian accidents cannot be avoided because of careless, speeding, texting, inattentive or drunk drivers. As the stories above demonstrate, Pedestrians who are in the wrong place at the wrong time may become victims of accidents due to the fault of someone else. Pedestrians who have suffered accidents at the expense of others should be aware that they may be able to receive compensation for their injuries. Call us or another qualified personal injury attorney to learn more about the types of remedies that may be available to you.
Insurance Tips for Injured Pedestrians:
Pedestrian Insurance Tip #1: You may have insurance to pay for medical bills, wage loss, funeral expenses and in-home care that you never purchased. Did you know that if you are a pedestrian and hit by a motor vehicle, you are a defined “insured” under the driver’s Personal Injury Protection (PIP)? That means if the driver has PIP, you will have immediate coverage for wage loss; medical bills and other benefits prior to settling your case with the driver of the at-fault vehicle and have the same rights under that driver’s policy as if you purchased it and made the premiums. Call us and we can explain this in more detail and. If available help you move forward with filing a PIP claim and PIP application to get immediate benefits.
Pedestrian Insurance Tip # 2: Some drivers do not have PIP or it is not enough to protect you in a pedestrian accident so get your own insurance. PIP usually covers $10,000 to $35,000 of medical bills and many drivers do not carry it. The injuries caused from a Motor Vehicle v. Pedestrian collision can be catastrophic and include broken bones, internal injuries, concussions, traumatic brain injury, fractures and more. So, the other driver’s PIP, if it exists at all, may not be enough to pay for medical bills. As a result, pedestrian victims may bear the brunt of paying for medical expenses. Depending on the extent of injury, some accident victims have to suspend working until they recuperate from their injuries. This only adds to their financial burden. In worst case scenarios, pedestrian accidents may result in death, causing great emotional and financial distress to the victim’s family as a result.
Personal injury laws vary from state to state, making it difficult for people to understand their rights following a personal injury. In contrast, as personal injury attorneys, we are well versed in the personal injury laws of Washington and Idaho state. Depending on your personal situation, as PI attorneys, we may be able to build a case on your behalf and help you receive reasonable compensation. PI attorneys know the ins and outs of filing a personal injury claim, including initiating a claim, valuing the claim, gathering all necessary documentary support and evidence, negotiating the claim. Our legal knowledge and experience enables us to help you receive the assistance you need.
Victims of pedestrian accidents need not face the consequences of their situation alone. By working with a PI attorney, pedestrian accident victims can avail themselves of professional assistance to recuperate their losses and get back on their feet. Many of our pedestrian clients are too injured to come to our office. Let us know and we will be happy to come to you.
Legal Tips For Pedestrian Victims:
Legal Tip #1: Always keep the clothes you were wearing at the time you were hit – especially if some of your clothes had light or bright colors.
Legal Tip #2: If you are able – note the condition of the windshield of the driver who hit you. I have had cases where the windshield was frosted with snow but defrosted by the time the police arrived; or the windshield was dirty or cracked.
Legal Tip #3: Often, pedestrian accidents happen at intersections and sometimes the driver claims that the pedestrian walked against a “do not walk” signal. Try to find a witness and try to get the driver to admit fault in front of a neutral witness. If this issue is in dispute, we will often canvas the neighborhood to see if anyone saw the accident.Google+